Wednesday, January 5, 2011

music to my ears

recently in conversation the topic of music came up. specifically favorite genres, favorite songs.  it's easy to throw out memorable tunes that have guided my way like the one song about a special relationship use somebody by kings of leon; the one song about tearing the dancefloor up at that club downtown attack ships on fire by revco; any number of Disney songs that can always bring a smile to my face mickey mouse club march etc.  i had easy off the cuff answers, all meaningful songs, but i never really gave it a thought about what would be my favorite.  a few days rationalizing, sorting through the rolodex in my mind, narrowing choices. it was difficult and i was surprised by the realization of what my favorite song actually is.  growing up i heard music from every genre, pop, rock and roll, country, jazz, easy listening, broadway, childrens, r&b, dance, so there was plenty to choose from.  soon i narrowed it down to a handful.  california dreaming by the mama's and the papa's; midnight train to georgia by gladys knight and the pips; flashlight by parliament; london calling by the clash; message in a bottle by the police.  each one of these songs moves me, defines my love of music, defines me.  to simply put into words what they mean is impossible, but each is profound to me.  i understand it is subjective and not everyone would agree with my choices, but it is a personal choice.  i loaded up the zune, played the songs i chose over and over.  they all had the same effect on me as they did the first time i heard them.  one song stuck with me after i stopped listening.  it made my choice rather easy.  it is running through my mind right now.

my favorite song?  flashlight by parliament.

why?  the song grooves.  it is funk, soul, and rock collectively.  the bass line grabs hold of me, pushes my body around, never lets go.  it invades, takes hold, i become the rhythm.  that is what music is about.  that is what makes a song a great one.  agree with me, disagree with me, it doesn't matter.  just appreciate the music, let it move you, own you.

1 comments:

Beth said...

Nice post, and you can probably guess that I feel the same way about certain songs. My favorite? "Sympathy for the Devil." Such clever lyrics, with that awesome backbeat/groove, and Mick's voice ranges from sultry to howling. I think it's a perfect song.

Post a Comment